Saturday 18 October 2014

A Carpenter's Delight Right In The Midst Of Our District.

Another recent discovery.

While out visiting a client, I came across this new discovery. Wow, you can't say that life is boring here. Yes, I know we are a small dot of a Gemeinde, but we do pack a punch.

When you think about it, it isn't so surprising given that we are surrounded by forests on just about every side. Working with wood is natural and looks good too.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I spotted this beauty in St. Kathrein. A wood worker's / carpenter's museum. For some it is a treat indeed ( what do you say, Harry? ) to spend oodles of time within. To be honest, I am not so fond of the woodworking scene as it involves quite a lot of hard word and time, but even I liked what I saw. No, so far only the outside and what was standing around in the open.
An old restored farmhouse has been converted to this gem. Alas they only open during certain times but I am sure Bob and I will visit it sooner rather than later. Oh yes Bob, a treat in store!
A close up of the one machine left outside. Somehow it reminds me more of a torture instrument than a wood working one...but regardless, it must be old.
There is this plaque hanging outside depicting the history of the mighty oak. Yes, it is in German but if you are interested, a dictionary will do the trick.
This looked rather strange to me, but I thought I might as well take a photo. The whole one side of a wall is filled with these numbered tree cuttings. Those in the know concerning the ways of oaks might understand!
A typical and dare I say rather beautiful Burgenland Streckhof. Of course it is framed by the brilliant blue skies and the emerald green lawns. Not too shabby, is it?
A mere 20 meters down the lane is this nice welcoming wagon of St. Kathrein's . A certain charm about it for sure. Ingenious definitely...


There is no website for this museum but here is a link to our Gemeinde / District one, should you wish to visit the museum or us...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment