Monday 27 October 2014

This Hot Soup Reveals A Whole Lot More Than Flavour!

Saturday night's comedy skit?

Isn't it true that usually the small things shout out the loudest facts? Even now rehashing the event in my mind, I am not sure if I was part of a candid camera skit.

Bob and I were at a lovely function and at about 10 pm, hot soup was served and just in time as the alcohol had been flowing freely. No, we didn't have any soup, but I only became aware of this soup as a young chap at our table got a bowl for himself. It had a yummy aroma and you could see that it was still hot by the tendrils of steam curling off the rim of the bowl.

As they say, that is when the fun started.

" This soup is so hot, I can't eat it! "
Well, I thought to myself, wait a minute and then eat it! Bob was asking me something and when I turned back to the soup-chap, my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

The woman sitting next to him ( about his mum's age ) had taken the bowl from him and started to stir the spoon vigorously while also blowing into the bowl in order to cool it down...and no, I am not making this up! The young chap ( early 20's ) sat there smiling and letting her carry on but taking a tester every now and then to see if it had cooled to his liking. Good God.

The man sitting opposite me raised his eyebrows and of course yours truly couldn't keep her comment to herself. Believe me I tried valiantly to keep silent and my outburst of

" My gosh, you will never find a wife! "
had the same effect as if I had thrown a bowl of cold water over him. The band had chosen that second to stop singing and my comment might as well have been said through a microphone as it was as loud as could be. They all stopped talking and looked at me...
" Where on earth will he find a wife to blow on his soup? "
at least had the older lot nodding their heads, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I was far from popular!

When I think of this now, I can be extremely thankful that my mother-in-law only let Bob get away with throwing his dirty socks, undies & clothes where he happened to take them off. Gee whiz, I got off lightly with that one. Imagine if I had to cool Bob's food down manually too? That would turn into a case of the missing wife...Yes Bob, just letting you know!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment