Tuesday 7 October 2014

This Lady Could Teach Us A Thing Or Two.

What to do when you get a visitor.

It's been about six weeks since I went to visit this nice couple. They are slightly older and are members of the octogenarian club. Frankly, one doesn't ask these age questions, but I did see a framed photo on the wall. In our village, the mayor comes for a visit on these momentous birthdays ( 80 / 85 / 90 ...) and these photos take pride of place.

Anyway, I rang the bell just after 3 pm, knowing or hoping that they had already had their lunchtime snooze. Yes, they had. When I went into their lounge, her husband was sitting in his recliner watching TV. He walks with difficulty and loves to watch his programs from this perch.

There is a phenomena in the older circles ( and dare I mention that I am too starting to join ) where any and all TV sets are set on extra loud. Conversation around this noise level is jolly difficult to hold.

Mentally I berated myself, because I saw that the opening credits of a national soap opera were showing on screen. In fact it said episode 2389 or so. Drat, I suddenly remembered that my own parents are glued to this soapy over lunch time. Yes, I have learned not to phone or visit during soapy time! Yet, there I had interrupted a clear anticipation of this soap opera.

Well, in a classic move...one that all of us should copy... the wife went to the TV and flipped the switch / pulled the plug so to say. Oh yes, the screen went black! Oh, I wish you could have seen the husband's face. Surprise mixed with anger was clear to see.

When I said that I could come back another time, she shushed me immediately, followed by;

" Don't worry, he watches too much TV in any case. "

As I left an hour later I made sure to switch on the TV for him. Honestly, I wasn't so sure that his wife would have done so, because during my time there, he had retaliated with a few choice words for her! Oh a couple's tit for tat is alive at any age... precious!

Dear wives, if you should try this at home, be advised that husbands or teenagers might get rather cranky and sullen. Try and unplug the television at your own risk....

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment