Monday 8 February 2016

My Super Bowl Experience.

Gosh, how is it possible to stretch an hour of playing time into four hours of viewing time?

It was a miracle that I managed to stay awake, as being on the other side of the world, it started at around midnight. About twenty years ago while I was living in the United States, I admit that the Football bug had gotten ahold of me. The American Football one, that is.

It was one way to spend a weekend's afternoon because even though the game itself is only 60 minutes long, every second gets used to its maximum. Balls are thrown strategically to get a time stoppage and the rules leave much to be desired. Too many indeed.

When they introduced the names of the Quarterback, I couldn't help but be enthralled by the name of Peyton Manning. Goodness, that is a name straight out of a Harlequin romance and very addictive. A name that makes the romantic dream a bit more. Of course the opposing guys name was also rather nice... Cam Newton. Good parental name choices.

After the first quarter I was more or less aware of why there was a bunch of beefy men piling on top of a poor guy who had the ball grasped tightly to his chest. The defense lot are huge and bulky and I wouldn't be surprised at a few broken ribs among the teams.

The halftime show was average and I tend to think that Lady Gaga stole the show with her opening anthem. Wow, who knew that she could look so normal. Oh yes, her costume for the show was straight laced, yet classy at the same time. Well done.

Beyonce, who was part of the halftime event had left much to be desired in my mind. Look, if she wants to strut around in a skimpy outfit, so be it but what I don't like very much is the crudeness of some of her dance moves...not my cup of tea at all.

With foresight, they hired a whole lot of extras to ' pretend ' to be screaming fans. Very clever indeed as this overwhelmed any background noise or any lack of it. Should the paying audience not have cheered, the Extra's screaming was plenty to make it sound successful.

It was rather nice to see a homage to all the past entertainers who headlined each Superbowl and it would have been awesome if they had rather done a half hour flashback through the 50 years.

I am glad I watched the game because it is an event and it is special. Let's see how the next one pans out...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment